Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
Hulu’s Identity Management Team is seeking a Principal Software Developer who will be an outstanding addition to our engineering team. As a Principal Software Developer at Hulu, you will be the expert working from the design of high available service to flexible and extensible solution architecture implementation in the authentication, authorization and user/device management domain.
Your primary responsibility is building out complete first-party and federated login solutions to protect our viewers from unauthorized access, designing defense-in-depth architecture to protect Hulu from internal and external threats, advocating security standard methodologies in the development organization, and serving as a domain expert for other teams in building solid and secure services.
You will figure out needs to be focused on across technology teams. In addition to having the technical expertise of a senior software developer you are able to make decisions on long term investments on the technologies that we chose to adopt or roll our own. Willing and able to actively and diplomatically address or drive issues cross team, including with the other business units. Remains positive in all these situations and drives the adoption of engineering standard methodologies throughout the entire dev team. Sets an example of engineering excellence across the entire tech team.
You will work with all facets of Hulu including the product, user experience, design and program management teams to build out the high available services and tools to supply great user experience, and also keep Hulu safe from threats on the inside and the outside. If you are someone who thrives in a team environment and gains personal happiness when sharing knowledge and partnering with teams across Hulu, then this is the perfect role for you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Architect, design, and implement the services to enhance Hulu’s capability of supplying the best user experience in authentication and user/device management
- Identify weaknesses and gaps in the current architecture and drive resolutions across the Hulu technology organization
- Establish and drive engineering standard methodologies around agile and quality-focused development with a focus on stability, security
- Lead initiatives that span across multiple feature areas. Is able to coordinate tasks between teams.
- Diagnose and fix problems across feature areas. Identify common problem solving patterns that can be applied across feature areas and technology stacks. Identify solutions to make problem solving easier across feature areas. Is unstoppable - the issue will get solved and solved in a way that it will not reoccur, whether it's a process, people or technology problem.
- Communicate effectively across different audiences that includes their peers, their manager, other tech teams and other business units. Effectively cater their communication to different audiences. Is learning to communicate more efficiently - fewer 1:1 communiques and more 1:many or face to face communication. Actively identifies misunderstandings and resolves them.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor developers and senior developers
WHAT TO BRING
- BS, MS, PHD degree in CS related major
- 10+ working experience, and at least with 5+ years experience in building internet-facing consumer services
- 5+ years experience on the software and architecture design of high throughput system or large scale system
- Strong knowledge of backend technologies (web APIs, microservices, caching systems, SQL/NoSQL designs)
- Rich experience on performance tuning, multi-region and high available service design
- Independent, energetic, highly technical, and thrives under pressure and ambiguity
- Strong advocate of software engineering practices and agile approaches
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Knowledge of OWASP standard methodologies, OAuth2, OpenID Connect, SAML2.0
- Cloud based development and solution design