Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that seeks to captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology. We’re looking for great people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. It’s a mission that takes some serious smarts, intense curiosity and determination to be the best. Come be part of the team that’s powering play.
Hulu Beijing is seeking a leader for its Content Discovery team, which utilizes cutting-edge machine learning and AI technology to provide Hulu users superb discovery experience. As a Director of Content Discovery, you will manage a high-performing team of researchers and software engineers. The areas covered are personalized content recommendations, content campaigns, search, voice, video understanding research, and more. Your product will touch all Hulu users as they browse through Hulu’s huge library of shows, movies and live programs on millions of devices. Together with the US partner teams, you will be responsible for developing technology roadmaps, prioritizing work against company and business strategy, and leading your team to deliver high-quality products with speed.
If you are someone who has worked across time zones to build a talent pipeline, if you enjoy working and mentoring developers and researchers at all levels, foster innovation, if you believe in creating a healthy environment for all team members to grow with high integrity, then this is a great role for you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build a world-class, high-performing Content Discovery system for Hulu
- Build the next generation of AI platform for Hulu that supports recommendation, search, content campaign, marketing campaign, ads and a variety of machine learning applications
- Lead the Hulu Beijing Content Discovery organizations including research and development. Develop organizational plans with good understanding of Hulu’s business strategy and technology stack.
- Hire and develop leaders in the team. Ensure team members have clear roles and responsibilities, provide good coaching and motivate the team.
- Develop shared vision and technology roadmap with partner teams in the US. Build consensus, communicate and collaborate with partner teams on team scope and technology directions.
- Work closely with product management and empower tech teams to deliver outstanding and impactful results. Proactively address and solve cross-team issues, foster team work and collaborations.
- Ensure the right system architecture and enforce quality standard. Help drive engineering best practices across the organization, define quality metrics, relentlessly improve quality and work effectiveness.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of research frontiers, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
WHAT TO BRING
- 10+ years of managing high-performing technical teams including at least 5 years of multi-level management (manager of managers)
- Proven industry and research leader in the area of machine learning and AI applications
- A track record of talent leading and development for an organization of significant size
- A track record of delivering large-scale internet product and algorithmic systems such as search and recommendations, building technology roadmaps and driving product design, development and launch to success
- Influencing skills including indirect influence, leading with vision and value
- Good analytical skills, ability to solve complex problems through analytics and data-driven approach to decision making
- Good communication skills in English. Mandarin a plus
- An MS or PhD in a related technical field