Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
Hulu's Content Library team is looking for a sharp, motivated and stong engineering manager, to lead our Content Metadata and Ingestion team and help build the technology backbone of Hulu. We are responsible for the end-to-end technology needs, to acquire content from over 500 partners and to deliver the highest quality experience to millions of users.
You will have strong communication skills, both within engineering teams and partners across the business. Finally, you will be passionate about career development and have a consistent track record of attracting, hiring, and developing engineering talent!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- This is a hands-on development role. You’ll be leading by example by working closely with senior engineers of your team, to architect the next generation of Hulu's matching and ingestion platform. While you are not expected to take on any critical path projects, you are encouraged to help your team with the development of theirs.
- Build a world-class software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement; to ensure that all software conforms to the highest quality standards.
- Direct daily operations of the team - carrying out priorities, monitoring and analyzing operational efficiency metrics and ensuring problems are identified and solved quickly and efficiently
- Foster a culture that uses metrics to make informed decisions and guide change; balance architectural and design considerations such as performance, scalability, reusability and flexibility issues.
- Collaborate with product managers and other business partners to achieve functionality & evangelize your team’s work across all organizations at Hulu.
WHAT TO BRING
- We use technologies like SpringBoot, Redis, Kafka and native AWS resources such as DynamoDB, SQS, Elasticache, Elasticsearch etc.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to attract talent, build teams and have fun
- 5+ years of software development experience; 3+ years leading engineering teams
- Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, including Object-Oriented programming, data structures and algorithms.
- Exceptional understanding of relational, document and graph databases
- Phenomenal communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development - a desire to relentlessly pursue better ways on how to tackle problems and improve systems!
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced operational environment, inspire change, and collaborate with a variety of individuals and business partners
- Strong proficiency in full stack development including Java and Python
- Background in streaming media platform development
- Experience with content media vendors such as Gracenote, EIDR etc and standards such as MDDF, SCTE 224 etc
- Experience with Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing or Data Matching
- Experience working in AWS and a knack for designing large scale distributed systems on the cloud
- Proficiency with performance tuning and monitoring tools
- Knowledge of building processes, change control and release management
- You can view this description as an overview, but not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionately about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute and lead in this role, please apply. We want to hear from you.