Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that seeks to captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology. We’re looking for great people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. It’s a mission that takes some serious smart, intense curiosity and determination to be the best. Come be part of the team that’s powering play.
Hulu is seeking an experienced television executive for its Vice-President, Business Affairs position heading our Business Affairs team. This is a senior leadership position which will have cross-functional visibility and influence across the company and play a critical role in the continued success of Hulu’s Original productions. The ideal candidate will have experience in a comparable position leading a Business Affairs department for a television network or studio or online video distributor.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead and foster a department of Business Affairs executives, including culture and vision for the team
- Manage all aspects of Business Affairs strategy, policy and procedure
- Oversee the negotiation of complex deals related to Hulu Originals, including scripted pilot/series, international co-productions, documentaries, specials, ancillary content, etc.
- Rigorously analyze deal structures and advise on strategy, costs, talent relations and other information relating to the development, production, and licensing of Original productions
- Partner with the Hulu legal team to draft term sheets and other documentation
- Work closely with internal teams, particularly creative and finance departments, to set Hulu’s content strategy, financial plan, and programming calendar
- Act as a business liaison between Hulu and the creative community (e.g., talent agencies, studios and independent production companies)
- Identify and pursue Originals-related new business development and alternative financing / production opportunities, including international partnerships
- Provide general business counsel in a rapidly changing business and tech environment
WHAT TO BRING
- 15+ years total experience (at least 10 years doing television Business Affairs)
- J.D. degree from a top tier law school and 3-5 years practicing at a nationally-recognized law firm (or comparable in-house media, legal affairs experience)
- Extensive knowledge of television/SVOD transactions including network and studio licensing, co-productions, development and talent deals, IP acquisitions, contingent compensation structures, and agency package arrangements
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing a Business Affairs department
- Established professional network and presence as a leader within the TV industry
- Extensive familiarity with production budgets and the ability to provide business counsel on all production matters
- High degree of knowledge related to unions and guilds, production tax incentives, and international co-productions
- Experience with third-party independent financing arrangements, intercreditor agreements, and completion bond structures
- Familiarity with domestic and international television distribution marketplace and sales benchmarking
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.