Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
Advanced machine learning and AI technology are used in many areas in Hulu's systems, including search, recommendations, ads optimizations, personalized marketing, video streaming optimizations, security, and more. We use algorithmic methods to improve Hulu's customer experiences. We also use them to help make strategic decisions. As a Principal Machine Learning Scientist in Hulu, you will have the opportunity to solve challenging algorithmic problems across a broad range of Hulu products. You will help to set strategic directions for machine learning and AI powered systems for Hulu, and communicate those to the senior executives. You will be the leader, expert and go-to-person for the Hulu research and development teams. You will be mentoring junior researchers and research engineers, overseeing their activities. You will also lead the Hulu strategic efforts to enable technical innovations.
We have tech teams located in Santa Monica, Seattle and Beijing. If you are someone who has worked across time zones to build successful algorithmic and analytical products, if you enjoy working and mentoring talents at all levels, foster innovation, if you believe in creating a healthy environment for all team members to grow with high integrity, then this is a great role for you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead the development of Hulu’s AI and machine learning strategy in conjunction with Hulu’s executive leadership team
- Partner with product teams to develop shared vision and roadmap for Hulu’s machine learning/AI platforms, prioritizing work against company and business strategy, and based on analytical insights
- Work closely with the engineering teams who build systems that supports recommendation, search, content campaign, marketing campaign, ads and a variety of ML applications, by understand their work and plan, actively providing guidance, analysis and support
- Serve as the primary communication contact between Hulu’s AI related engineering teams and executive leaders, contributing in executive reviews, presentations, discussions as a domain expert
- Serve as technical assistants to Hulu executives as needed, covering the domain of machine learning related systems and applications
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of AI research frontiers, industry trends, emerging technologies. Build relationships with the tech community to promote Hulu’s branding and results
- Help building world-class, high-performing research teams in Hulu with expertise in advanced algorithmic areas, coaching junior researchers and research engineers
WHAT TO BRING
- 10+ years of industrial and/or research experience
- Proven industry leader in the area of machine learning, AI, large-scale data applications
- Deep understanding of AI techniques including advanced modeling, experimental design and optimizations. Expertise in NLP and computer vision a plus
- Good understanding of business and company strategy, experience in bridging R&D plans with company business goals
- Good analytical skills, ability to solve complex problems through statistical analytics and data-driven decision-making
- Good communication skills. Ability to articulate complex technical terms clearly and connect with business value. Ability to communicate with company executive leaders.
- Influencing skills including indirect influence, leading with vision and value
- Good interpersonal skills and experience working with geographically distributed teams
- PhD or MS in computer science, math, engineering or equivalent