Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that seeks to captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology. We’re looking for great people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. It’s a mission that takes some serious smart, intense curiosity and determination to be the best. Come be part of the team that’s powering play.
The Advertising Platform team at Hulu's Santa Monica location is looking for strong Senior Software Engineers who will help us design and rebuild our next-generation ad serving platform. Hulu runs one of the largest proprietary video ad serving systems on the Internet, with thousands of advertisers and billions of ads served per month. Our ad server makes thousands of decisions per second to optimize the value of each impression for both our advertisers and our viewers. In addition to the ad server, our advertising platform includes a set of front-end tools where our advertising and other business partners configure rules related to advertiser and content partners that determine (among other things) where, how many, and what type of advertising to show our viewers. Our systems connect to and interact with a complex network of both internal and external systems including Hulu’s consumer-facing applications, 3rd party ad systems, and data and financial systems. Success in this space requires strong coding and design skills and familiarity with sound service-oriented design principles. Successful candidates will work with other engineers on the team to design and implement large-scale software systems in support of Hulu’s advertising business. You will work with engineers on teams across the Hulu organization to ensure that advertising works flawlessly across a wide array of devices and applications, and that data and metrics flow smoothly into reporting and financial systems. You will partner with colleagues in product management and advertising to understand their business needs and design unique and efficient solutions to complex business problems.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and lead implementation on projects to enhance and extend Hulu’s existing ad serving platform
- Lead and influence design improvements to improve the interaction between ad serving systems and the rest of Hulu’s service and client infrastructure
- Coach and mentor other engineers on the team to ensure that all software conforms to the highest quality standards
- Identify and drive improvements in engineering best practices across the Ad Platform team to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
WHAT TO BRING
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of top-tier software development experience; at least 2 years with backend, service-oriented architecture
- Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, including Object-Oriented programming, algorithms, and data structures
- Experience working with one or more industry-leading database platforms, preferably both relational and non-relational systems
- Familiarity with large-scale distributed system design
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development
- Expert proficiency in at least one widely used server-side programming language (Java, C#, Python, etc.)
- Previous experience developing ad serving or other related technology (e.g. ad network, demand-side platform, etc.)
- Experience working in a mix of Cloud and Enterprise data center environments
- Proficiency with large scale data analysis tools, such as Hadoop
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.