Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
Hulu’s Play Stack team is seeking a Software Development Engineer in Test who will be an extraordinary addition to our team! As an SDET at Hulu, you will be the domain expert in the backend services that enable video playback, and will play an integral role in defining test strategies, building test automation, investigating/reporting bugs, and collaborating across the Engineering team to release quality software with high confidence in the pursuit of delighting our customers. Your work will improve performance, scalability, and availability of our internal systems. You will setup test automation frameworks, build quality-related tools, and engineer efficient, scalable, and maintainable test infrastructure. You are experienced applying software engineering best practices and agile approaches. The right person has a strong attention to detail, is intellectually curious, takes accountability for the definition and delivery of high quality work, demonstrates a strong sense of collaboration in their work and professional relationships, clearly and thoughtfully communicates in their areas of expertise, identifies problems and acts strategically to craft a solution, and empathizes with and advocates for the needs of customers. If you are someone who effectively moves between high-level concepts and low-level execution, then this is a great role for you!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop scalable automated testing strategies
- Define/implement/maintain test automation for the Play Stack team, including manifest generation, captioning/subtitles, ad server integration, asset/device metadata, entitlements, and content protection
- Identify and drive improvements in engineering methodologies to ensure industry-leading system quality and team efficiency
- Contribute to the release process for the Play Stack team
- Diagnose/debug/perform root cause analysis for issues in production/test environments, report defects, and champion/drive/advocate for their resolution
- Propose regression tests to discover recurring issues and drive the tests to “automation complete”
- Collaborate with program managers and software developers to define requirements and ensure testability
- Collaborate with partner teams to understand upstream/downstream dependencies and to facilitate development of integration/end-to-end tests
- Introduce effective quality methodologies to the Play Stack team and expand/improve existing automation
- Create/maintain test data for manual/automated testing
WHAT TO BRING
- Bachelor’s degree or the foreign equivalent in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, or a closely related field plus 4 years of progressive experience in a software testing (SDET) and/or software development (SDE) occupation, including manual/automated testing of backend services and REST APIs.
- Proficient programming with Python, Java, Golang, or similar
- Experience with backend test automation frameworks (e.g. pytest, REST Assured, Karate, etc.)
- Some experience writing Gherkin Syntax to facilitate the development of automated tests
- Proficient with version control software (e.g. GitHub) and issue/project tracking software (e.g. Jira)
- Proficient with software development/debugging tools (e.g. Postman, curl, mitmproxy, Chrome Dev Tools)
- Some experience with Jenkins or similar build tools
- Experience with qTest or similar test suite/case/run management tools
- Experience with Locust, Gatling, JMeter, or similar frameworks for the purposes of developing performance and reliability test automation coverage
- Highly experienced in defining/executing/maintaining test cases and experience with building out test plans for backend services
- Deep understanding of quality-related agile methodologies and tools and validated experience using both during the SDLC
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (e.g. whiteboarding/diagramming system behavior)
- Proven experience demonstrating analytical skills, reporting, leadership, customer focus, and collaboration
- Experience working with large scale content delivery
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Spinnaker, and continuous integration/delivery systems
- Experience with Kafka
- Experience developing advanced mocking mechanisms (e.g. rule-based proxies and dummy services)
- Some experience developing web applications, RESTful APIs, data models, microservices, etc.