Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that seeks to captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology. We’re looking for great people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. It’s a mission that takes some serious smart, intense curiosity and determination to be the best. Come be part of the team that’s powering play.
The Advertising Platform team at Hulu's Santa Monica location is looking for a strong Technical Lead / Software Manager who will lead and manage a small back-end engineering crew within the Ad Tools team to oversee the development of the next generation of the Hulu advertising platform. Hulu runs one of the largest proprietary video ad serving systems on the Internet, with thousands of advertisers and billions of ads served per month. The Ad Tools team supports the entire advertising pipeline being responsible for building applications that helped drive over a billion dollars in advertising revenue for Hulu in 2018. Successful candidates will lead a team of database administrators in architecting high quality and scalable data solutions. You will have strong database design skills. You will be able to translate high-level business requirements into scalable software solutions and drive complex projects from inception to delivery. You will have strong communications skills, both within engineering teams and with stakeholders across Hulu. Finally, you will be passionate about career development and have a strong track record of attracting, hiring, and developing top-tier engineering talent.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Build a world-class software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement.
- Work with senior engineers on your team to define the next generation data architecture for Hulu's ad tooling and management platform; including identifying gaps in the existing system and designing alternatives that are scalable, robust and easy to maintain.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to ensure that all software conforms to the highest quality standards.
- This is a hands-on development role. You’ll be leading by example by working closely with Database Administrators to architect scalable solutions. While you are not expected to take on any critical path projects, you will help your team with the development of theirs.
WHAT TO BRING
- Demonstrated ability to attract talent, build teams and have fun.
- 7+ years of top-tier software development experience; at least 2 years having led teams.
- 4+ years working in Ad Tech
- 3-5 years’ experience working with large data systems
- Expertise with core Computer Science fundamentals, including Object-Oriented programming, algorithms, and data structures.
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a team-focused approach towards software development.
- Strong programming experience with at least one of the following languages: Java/Python/R or other related programming languages (CLI scripting skills a plus)
- Strong knowledge of database architecture, development, administration and reporting
- Expertise with at least one major database system (MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle) Preferably MySQL.
- Strong SQL/TSQL development skills
- Experience working in a mix of Cloud and colocation data center environments