Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.SUMMARY
Hulu is a data driven company where decision makers are given the power and tools to explore data independently. We believe in empowering our users. The Data Experience (DX) team is seeking a Senior Application Development Lead (otherwise known as an Engineering Manager) who loves data, embraces fun, and thinks deeply about building applications from end-to-end. Hulu has one of the most sizeable and diverse data sets in the world, and it’s the responsibility of the DX team to deliver outstanding, highly-impactful applications and services. You will build the centralized data hub and services to provide a streamlined experience when Hulugans begin their data journey. The right person for this role has empathy and a passion for customer happiness, strong software development skills, and thrive in an agile and collaborative environment.
You thrive in building responsive applications, high-performance API's and are eager to improve performance, availability, and reliability of the services you own. The team is looking to define and build the next-generation services for enabling thousands of Hulugans to become more data-driven. If you are the kind of person who thrives in a collaborative environment, jumps at the opportunity to tackle new challenges, Hulu is for you.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead a full stack team of engineers to craft the data journey for all of Hulu, whether it be end-users or software engineers.
- Build an exceptional software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement.
- Work closely with UX creatives, product managers, and engineering leadership to craft world-class, captivating experiences.
- Ensure operational and delivery efficiency, SLAs and oversee Tier 1 and Tier 2 support for critical applications.
- Lead the agile/scrum practice to ensure heath and process improvements for your team
- Keep up with the latest in big data processing patterns and practices
- 2+ years of management experience with the team size of 4-6
- 5+ years of hands-on software engineering experience with a focus on data applications.
- Ability to attract talent, build teams and have fun.
- Shown success in building a customer-facing API using Node.js, preferably in REST or GraphQL.
- Dedicated to learning new things in the world of software engineering, DevOps, CI/CD, best-practices in testing, and agile methodologies.
- Experience provisioning, deploying, and operating applications in a cloud environment, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- A strong grasp of computer science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, etc)
- Independent, ambitious, inventive, highly technical, and capable of committing to results under pressure and ambiguity
- Strong communication and a positive, compassionate attitude toward peers and customers.
- Degree in Computer Science or other physical science.
- Have built and delivered data access layers using GraphQL and one or more GraphQL server frameworks.
- Exposure to large scale technologies such as Hadoop, BigTable, or Snowflake.
- Expertise in SQL, Python and other programming languages, UNIX/Linux, Informatica or other ETL tools