Hulu is a premium streaming TV destination that seeks to captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love. We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology. We’re looking for great people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. It’s a mission that takes some serious smarts, intense curiosity and determination to be the best. Come be part of the team that’s powering play.
Hulu’s Video Optimization team is seeking a Research Software Developer who will be an exceptional addition to our team. As a Research Software Developer for video streaming at Hulu, you will work with other developers and researchers on investigating and introducing cutting-edge video streaming technologies to empower Hulu’s viewing experience for millions of viewers. The right person for this role has good problem-solving ability, video playback knowledge and has balanced research and software development skill. If you are someone who wants to solve real user problems through innovations in video streaming domain and build world-class video streaming experience, then this is a great role for you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Investigate, evaluate and implement new technologies and innovations in video streaming field, conduct full-stack software development and network architecture optimization
- Apply state of the art statistics / data mining / machine learning methodologies to discover and solve real world video streaming problems, optimize end-to-end user experience
- Design offline and online experiments to verify and prove video streaming enhancements
- Provide guidance in the design and re-architect of a large-scale streaming quality monitor and analysis system.
- Collaborate with internal team members and external stakeholders to continuously optimize hulu’s streaming service and application.
- Work together with researchers and other developers on building scalable, easy-to-use, efficient and stable evaluation and investigation platforms
- Shine with engineering excellence by developing test infrastructures, writing documentation, ensuring high performance, and following an agile development methodology
- Develop content distribution algorithms to maximize video quality of experience
- Model, analyze, and predict the performance of our streaming network
- Partner closely with scientists, engineers, and consumer insight researchers to design, run, and analyze A/B and multivariate hypothesis tests aimed at optimizing the streaming video experience.
WHAT TO BRING
- The candidate should be a highly quantitative independent thinker with outstanding communication skills and strong in all or several of the following areas:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering or related field.
- Deep understanding about network basic model and protocols, such is CDN, P2P, HTTP2.0, ISO/OSI, TCP/IP, HTTP, RTMP and so on.
- Strong software development skills, including both server side and player related development
- Be familiar with common mathematic model in data analysis, such as probability and statistical modeling, time series analysis and forecasting, and machine learning
- Solid algorithm analysis and design ability.
- Great communication and collaboration skills, have strong teamwork ethic
- Experience of network model construction in improving video streaming performance is a big plus
- Familiarity with SQL. Knowledge of Spark / Hive / MAP REDUCE is a plus.
- Experience with MPEG-DASH / HLS / DRM / QoS improvement is a plus