We at Hulu strive to remain at the forefront of providing users with access to their favorite TV shows anytime, anywhere, on the device of their choosing. As gaming consoles move into the next generation, we look to keep pace and bring the Hulu Plus experience everywhere we can, and we're extremely proud to provide Hulu Plus support for the Sony PlayStation 4.
Below, you can find out how to set up Hulu Plus and get the most out of it on your PS4:
Downloading the Hulu Plus application on your PS4 is simple:
- From your PS4's main menu (XMB), navigate to the PlayStation Store
- Go to Search, and enter Hulu Plus
- Select the Hulu Plus app
- Move your cursor and select Download
- Follow the prompts to complete the download.
The Hulu Plus application will appear on your lower XMB crossbar.
There are two ways you can log in to the Hulu Plus application on your PS4, but both will get you to the same place:
Using the On-Screen Keyboard
- On the Home screen, select Log In, then select Log in with your email address and password
- Use the on-screen keyboard to enter your email address and password
- Then move the cursor down, and select Log In
Activating your PS4 on Hulu.com
- On the Home screen, select Log In. You will then see a 6-8 digit alphanumeric Device Activation Code (for example, VT6LU9L)
- Using a standard web browser, navigate to hulu.com/activate (and sign in, if prompted)
- Enter the device activation code displayed on your TV screen and click Activate
- Within about 30 seconds, your PS4 will be automatically logged in to your Hulu Plus account
If you are experiencing difficulty streaming video on your PS4, we recommend performing a speed test of your connection with its built-in network speed test. From the main menu, go to Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection and compare the download speed with the results from speedtest.net on your computer. Once the tests are complete, compare the results from both against our requirements.
If your speed test results exceed our requirements, here are some general tips that may help:
- Power down your PS4, modem, and router for approximately one minute and then power back up.
- If you are watching a video over a wireless connection, connect your PS4 directly to your router via ethernet cable.
Should the general troubleshooting not resolve the issue, try these PS4-specific steps:
- Reset the system time and date of your PS4. In the XMB, go to Settings > Date and Time > Date and Time Settings > Set via Internet > Set Now (if not already on "Set Automatically")
- Delete the Hulu Plus application (highlight the application, press the Options button to the right of the touchpad, and select Delete), then re-download the application from the PlayStation Store
If the above steps did not help, please visit this help article for more advanced troubleshooting.
Are there Closed Captions available on the PS4?
Closed Captioning can be enabled on videos that have it available. During playback, pull up the playback menu by pressing Up on the D-pad. Press Up again, then toggle over to Captions: Off and Press X to enable. You can also turn on captions for every video when available in your settings on the PS4. To do so, navigate to Settings (next to Help and Info) on the main page of the Hulu Plus application. From there, tap X to open up the settings. You should see the Captions settings at the top left.
I have parental control settings applied on the PS4, but Hulu Plus is not restricting content. Why is this?
Right now, the on-device parental controls for the PS4 do not have an effect on Hulu Plus content. The best way to ensure that certain content is restricted, if you'd like to do so, is to change the birth year on your account to under 17 years old. This will prevent mature content from being viewed while still allowing you to watch Hulu Plus videos. To update your birth year, contact Hulu Support.
I was in the middle of watching a video when I pressed the PS button on my remote. How do I start my show back up?
When you press the PS button during playback, it will appear that the app has closed. However, playback has simply paused, and the app has shifted to the background. On the main menu now, you'll see a loading circle under the app indicating that it is still running. Now, from the main menu, if you press the PS button again, it will relaunch the app and resume playback. However, if you instead hit "X" on the Hulu Plus app to try and reopen it, the app will restart completely.
If you have any questions that were not addressed, please contact us directly - we'll be happy to help out!