Information Collected From or About You
What kinds of information does Hulu collect from or about me and my activities?
Generally speaking, we may collect the following information from or about you and your activities when you use the Hulu Services:
- information you give us, including your name, email address, birth date, gender, and -if you subscribe to Hulu Plus - your credit card information;
- information automatically collected when you use the Hulu Services, such as your location, your activity on the Hulu Services, and information collected via cookies, web beacons, or other technologies;
- information from other commercially available sources, such as data aggregators and public databases, or our business partners, which may include your interests, purchasing behavior and your activities online, such as websites visited and advertisements viewed; and
- if you connect your social networking account with your Hulu account, information from your social networking account as described below.
Are there other parties collecting information from or about me that I should be aware of while using the Hulu Services?
- Service Providers. Companies that provide services to us and our business partners - including companies that assist with payment processing, website, user, and business analytics, data processing, account management, advertising, and other services - may collect information from or about you. However, our agreements with these service providers limit the types of information these companies collect, how they may collect it, and how they may use it.
- Social Networking Services. You can use the Hulu Services with social networking services, such as Facebook and connect your Hulu account with your social networking account. When you choose to share information about your activities on the Hulu Services with social networking services, Hulu may send information about you to these services, including information about your use of the Hulu Services. Social networking services also may collect certain technical information about you, such as the IP address of the device you are using to access the Hulu Services and the URL of the page you are viewing. For more information about how Hulu works with social networking services such as Facebook, please click here.
How We Use This Information
How does Hulu use information it collects from or about me?
- Payment Information. We only use payment information, such as credit card numbers, as necessary for completing a particular transaction or fulfilling a service (for example, processing payments from our Hulu Plus subscribers) and to prevent abuse of the Hulu Services.
- Promotional Communications. We may use your information to:
- provide you with promotional information about Hulu's features, services, and other offerings that may be of interest to you; or
- provide information or offers to you that are related to the Hulu Services on behalf of Hulu's business partners.
Information about your choices regarding promotional communications you receive from Hulu are described in the "Your Choices
- Recommendations and Advertising. We and service providers acting on behalf of us and our business partners may use the information collected from or about you, including your use of Hulu Services, to provide recommendations and advertisements on the Hulu Services and elsewhere on the web.
How We Share This Information
With whom does Hulu share the information it collects from or about me?
- Other Hulu Users. The Hulu Services include social features that let you interact with other people who use them. Information that you voluntarily make public on the Hulu Services will be shared with other Hulu users. For example, if your Hulu username includes your real name, when you post a comment it will be associated with your real name. You can control the sharing of certain information contained in your Hulu profile or about your activities on the Hulu Services with others on the Privacy and Settings page.
- Business Partners. We may share the information collected from or about you with our business partners, including advertisers and other companies that are not affiliated with Hulu, in aggregated or non-personally identifiable forms. Otherwise, except when such business partners are acting on our behalf or when you have provided your information as part of a co-branded promotion, we will obtain your consent before we share your contact information with them so that they may send you promotional information about their products and services directly.
- Social Networking Services. You can use the Hulu Services on other social networking services such as Facebook, and connect your Hulu account with your social networking account. When you choose to share information about your activities on the Hulu Services with social networking services, Hulu may send information about you to these services, including information about your use of the Hulu Services. For more information about how Hulu works with social networking services such as Facebook, please click here.
- Service Providers. We may also share the information collected from or about you with service providers that provide services to us and our business partners. For example, we may share your information with other people or entities in order to provide goods or services that you have requested or to complete a transaction at your request. We may also enter into agreements with outside companies that possess the technology that allows us to customize the advertising and marketing messages you receive while using the Hulu Services. Your information, including clickstream data about your use of the Hulu Services and other online activities, may be shared with these companies so this customization can be accomplished. However, our agreements with these service providers limit the types of information share with these companies and how they may use it. For more information about sharing in the context of third-party advertising, please see our discussion of Third-Party Advertising on Hulu.
- Other Parties In Connection With a Transfer of Assets. If we sell all or part of our business, or make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy, we may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.
Does Hulu share aggregate or non-personally identifiable information?
Do I have choices about the use and sharing of the information collected from or about me?
You have choices about the use and sharing of certain information collected from or about you.
- Other Hulu Users. Hulu's Privacy and Settings page gives you the option to control how certain information in your profile (other than your first and last name) and your activities are shared when you use the Hulu Services. You can change your privacy settings at any time on the Privacy and Settings page.
- Social Networking Services. When you choose to connect your Hulu account with a social networking account such as Facebook, you may choose to share your information and activities with other users of that particular social network. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the policies and privacy controls of these social networking services.
- Hulu's Use of Your Information to Send You Promotional Materials. By visiting the Privacy and Settings page, you may opt out of receiving alerts or email updates from Hulu promoting our site or the products or services of our business partners, or notices about your queues or subscribed content. We updated these settings on November 19, 2010. If you affirmatively instructed us not to send you promotional materials prior to that date, we maintained that preference following the change. But if you didn’t give us an affirmative instruction and want to change your preference, you can do so on the Privacy and Settings page. Regardless of your choices with respect to promotional communications and updates regarding content, we may send you administrative messages, service announcements, terms and conditions of your account, or other similar communications, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- Hulu's Use of Information Collected From or About You from Websites You Visit Other than Hulu.com. Hulu may store information about websites you visit in browser cookies on your computer. If you don't want Hulu to store information about websites you visit other than Hulu.com using this browser, please visit our Opt-Out Page to set your preference.
- Do Not Track. Hulu supports Do Not Track browser settings. If you enable Do Not Track settings in the browser you are using, Hulu will not store or use information about websites you visit using that browser other than Hulu.com. To learn more about Do Not Track, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit http://allaboutdnt.com/.
- Opting Out of Third-Party Behavioral Advertising. If you would like information about your choices with respect to third-party behavioral advertising, please click here.
- Audience Measurement. Our business partners such as content owners, including advertisers, seek to measure the performance of their content across many platforms, including the Hulu Services. Accordingly, Hulu may permit the use of proprietary measurement software that would enable third parties such as Nielsen to include your viewing on the Hulu Services in calculating measurement statistics such as TV Ratings. In connection with Nielsen specifically, you can access more information about Nielsen's measurement software and learn about your choices, including opting out, by clicking here or visiting "About Nielsen Measurement" in your application's settings for viewing on mobile devices, or clicking here for viewing on websites.
Security, Kids, and Other Information
How does Hulu protect the information it collects from or about me?
We use reasonable physical, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard information in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. For example, passwords and other sensitive information are encrypted in transit. We also take steps to ensure that only those Hulu employees, agents, and contractors who have a legitimate business reason to obtain access to your information are granted access.
When you enter sensitive information (such as credit card information on our order forms), we encrypt that information using secure sockets layer technology (SSL), an industry standard protocol for billing transmission in order to help protect the financial information you send us.
Despite these efforts, please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Hulu Services but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. Please refer to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission's website for information on how to protect yourself from identity theft.
Does Hulu collect information from children under the age of 13?
Hulu prohibits registration or subscription by, and will not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from, anyone under 13 years of age.
Hulu is an online video service based in the U.S., and our offices are headquartered in the U.S. Please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Hulu Services may be processed and transferred to the U.S. and be subject to U.S. law. The privacy and data protection laws in the U.S. may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using our website, participating in any of the Hulu Services, or by providing us with your information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the U.S.