The Interactive Interstitial is a rich-media flash unit that runs with or in place of a video commercial. The interstitial enables greater interaction within the player space.
- Can include static imagery and messaging, or full rich media including animation or flash video.
- Playback does not extend beyond the player window, no expandable units allowed.
- Can include multiple link events, form fields, etc. that can be tracked via click command. Form field data will either be captured by Hulu or can use a 1 × 1.
- Must include audio throughout the unit.
- Heavy or exclusive use of vector assets is highly recommended to ensure smooth scaling within the player window as users toggle to full screen mode.
- All assets must be site served by Hulu, no third party serving allowed (of source or functional calls).
- We recommend that core branding or actionable elements do not extend into the top 35 pixels or bottom 70 pixels of the unit as those will be covered by the ad countdown timer and player controls on rollover. These areas may not be fully visible or available for click action, but should still be part of the full 1184 × 666 design.
- Lean-back experience: Will time out if the user does not interact with the unit. Will include the standard Hulu ad countdown bar in the top 35 pixels of the player window.
Click through to another site from within the Interstitial will open a new browser window.
- Lean-forward experience: If interaction options are available within the unit, a “Return to Video” option will appear if a user decides to click somewhere within the unit allowing them to return to the content experience whenever they are ready (this prevents a user from voluntarily becoming engaged and the user getting ‘kicked out’ at the end of the experience).
Production lead-time is typically 6 weeks from the receipt of the final assets. However, each Interstitial has a unique production timeline based off project's scope and scale.
Deliverables to Hulu:
• Product Images (if applicable)
• Audio (background audio must be heard throughout entire unit)
• Brand logo (Vector .AI or .EPS preferred, .PSD accepted)
• Copy & calls-to-action (if applicable)
• Third-party tags
• Click-thru URLs
• 1184 x 666
• SWF with all source elements
• 100k initial download
Max File Size
500k (initial download)
Required throughout the full unit. Please ensure smooth transitions and a smooth looping experience if needed.
If client is providing uncompressed video:
• 23.98 or 29.97
• Constant frame rate only
• Apple ProRes 422 HQ codec preferred
• Audio (HD/SD): PCM (preferred) or AAC codec & 192 kbps minimum
• (H.264 codec is accepted, but bitrate must be at least 50 Mbps)
• Interlaced video is not accepted
• Constant Bitrate (CBR) 15-30 Mbps
• Main Profile @ Main Level (MP@ML)
• 4:2:0 Color Space
• Please make content progressive.
• Video must be submitted without leaders (i.e slates, countdowns).
• If assets are delivered with leaders, Hulu will edit them and a Production Fee will be added to the final invoice.
• 30 FPS
• Normal video creative :15 seconds recommended.
• :30 second creative may be approved if providing an exceptional user experience.
Hosted by Hulu
• AS3 only
• 30 fps
• All elements within the unit must be masked to the stage.
Third Party Tags
Hulu accepts standard tags and supports VAST from Hulu-approved vendors. For additional VAST information, please click here to visit our FAQ document.
• Client provided, or Hulu Creative Services can create these units for the client based on client direction and source assets.
• If client is providing, final FLAs must be submitted along with all class and font files. Hulu will provide a sample template which includes actionscript required for communication between the ad and player. All elements and all desired tracking must be baked into the unit prior to submission.
• If Hulu is creating, source assets should include vector assets (.ai or .eps) to ensure scalability, as well as specific fonts required and any clicktags or tracking required. All assets are subject to Hulu approval to ensure an optimal user experience.
• The timeline and associated costs for advanced Product Interstitials will be determined on a case-by-case basis and must be approved by Hulu Creative Services.
• Assets needed are dependent on scope and function of requested custom unit.
Third Party Serving
All assets must be site served by Hulu.
• Completion Rate
• Extended metrics TBD